In City Times' Straight Talk
A new forum TV show from the people who bring you the InCity Times.
In City Times' Straight Talk
37 videos available. Showing page 1 of 4
Posted June 23rd 2010 12:26pm
1. BP oil is still gushing. Has President Obama's trips down South made a difference? 2. Alternative energy: how do Americans embrace wind, water, solar power? Will we ever? 3. The ACLU (Ron!) is speaking on behalf of Worcester reisdents who want the first half hour of every city council meeting open to the public for discussion of items on agenda. The Worcester City Council seems to be dragging its feet - and the Joff Smith vote never happened! Discuss! 4. How is our city shaping up for the summer? 5. The NEW City Grill is closed after opening right across from City Hall only two months ago. Discuss.
Posted June 23rd 2010 12:22pm
1. The Crompton Park Pool was slated to open this summer - the only city pool to open! Now it's to open "around" Labor Day - end of summer. Meanwhile, the Wheels to Water program will be in full swing this summer. Discuss. 2. Downtown development: is it a good thing that Mass College of Pharmacy bought the Crowne Plaza Hotel with plans to use it as a big dorm for its students? 3. How about the Aud? What do we dream for our august ol' Worcester Auditorium? 4. PILOT: the pressure is on again to make Holy Cross and Clark University make PILOT payments to the city. Discuss. 5. CSX. Will the expansion be good for Worcester? What about our airport having a new owner? (MassPort)
Posted June 14th 2010 9:45am
1. Wheels to Water program will be in full swing this summer. Discuss our city pools and this program. 2. Downtown development: is it a good thing that Mass College of Pharmacy bought the Crowne Plaza Hotel with plans to use it as a big dorm for its students? 3. How about the Aud? What do we dream for our august ol' Worcester Auditorium? 4. PILOT: the pressure is on again to make Holy Cross and Clark University make PILOT payments to the city. Discuss. 5. CSX. Will the expansion be good for Worcester? What about our airport having a new owner? (MassPort)
Posted June 14th 2010 9:41am
Posted May 25th 2010 11:38am
1. Immigration. We will discuss this at the local and national level for the entire show, since Jack, Ron and Peter have so much to say about this topic. Question: Arizona recently passed a law to cope with their undocumented workers. There's been a firestorm ever since - locally and nationally. On the home front, some Worcester City Councilors, wanted to do what Boston and LA recently did - pass an ordinance to essentially boycott all things Arizona. It never even made the council floor. Discuss.
Posted April 22nd 2010 9:16am
1. Sarah Palin - she's back big time! What's her magic? What is her role in the Republican Party? American political life? 2. Is the Tea Party movement as powerful as its proponents claim? 3. Miss Bachman. She like Sarah Palin, is a "hot" Republican speaker. But does her political rhetoric ultimately doom her? 4. The Worcester budget looks bleak. The mayor and city councilors are hinting at tax hikes for homeowners. Should the residential taxpayer start opeing up his/her wallet? 5. What about the police force? Should City Manager Mike O'Brien rehire some of our laid off police officers?
Posted March 25th 2010 1:26pm
Posted March 10th 2010 12:27pm
1. President Obama recently held a health care summit. How did it go? Were the Republicans obstructionist - intent on making it Obama's Waterloo? 2. Why can't both parties craft a health care reform package acceptable to everyone? OR: Should the President just run with the Dems and get some reforms? 3. The troubles at Toyota continue. How does this affect the US auto industry? 4. A Rhode Island public school system fired all the teachers at a poorly performing school? Was this the right thing to do? The president applauded the move? Was this the right thing to do? 5. Republicans reinvigorated by the Scott Brown win. Will this affect the next few years of political races?
Posted March 10th 2010 12:20pm
1. Tilikum the Orca whale made news when he drowned his trainer. He is worth $2 million to Sea World. Should he or other Orcas (or dolphins, etc) be forced to perform in aquariums? 2. Why can't Americans be more aware of animal rights? Animal abuse? 3. Billy Breault and oother community leaders remember Florence Street fire victims. What is the city doing to prevent this senseless loss of life. 4. The Narcan debate. Discuss. (Billy Breualt will introduce this topic) 5. The PIP. Where is it going? Is it going anywhere? Will it ever be the triage center the city wants it to be?
Posted February 22nd 2010 9:01am
1. The Worcester Public Schools stills has many WPS teachers who are NOT certified to teach. Former Mayor Konnie Lukes planned on getting these folks certified/moved to classes they are certified to teach - or have them fired. Will this happen now, with Mayor O'Brien as head of the Worcester School Committee? 2. The stimulus money and Governor Deval Patrick keep the school budget from running a huge deficit. But we still have one - in the millions of dollars. How can the WPS survive - thrive? 3. The teachers' and police union members are the only municipal employees STILL paying 25% of their health insurance premiums. Everyone else (who works for the city) pays 20%. Discuss. 4. Charter Schools. Can they make a difference? Do we need more? Do the WPS need to do something radical - like another Univeristy Park Campus school? 5. President Obama. How is he doing lately?