Learn the magic of healthy cooking with chef Sylvain Boucher and dietician Laurine Terreault
Learn the magic of healthy cooking with chef Sylvain Boucher and dietician Laurine Terreault. Watch the magical preparation of an appetizer, the main course and a desert.
Herbed Cheese Mini Peppers
Servings: 20 appetizers
Total: 25 mins
* 10 red, yellow, and/or orange miniature sweet peppers (6 to 8 ounces total)
* 1 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
* 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
Finely shredded lemon peel (set aside)
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* Fresh oregano leaves (optional)
1. Halve each sweet pepper lengthwise. Remove the seeds; set peppers aside.
2. In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese, the chopped oregano and lemon juice.
3. Pipe or spoon cream cheese mixture into pepper halves. Sprinkle cream cheese mixture with lemon peel. If desired, garnish with oregano leaves.
Prepare as directed. Cover and chill for up to 4 hours.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 32, Total Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 9 mg, Sodium 46 mg, Carbohydrate 1 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 1 g. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
BROCCOLI STUFFED CHICKEN BREAST
4 CHICKEN BREAST
4 TBLSPN BREAD CRUMBS
JUICE OF 2 LEMONS
CHOPPED FRESH BASIL
FRESH GROUND PEPPER
2 CUPS CHOPPED BROCCOLI
1 C. LOW FAT FRESH PARMESAN CHEESE SHREDED
4 TBLSPN OLIVE OIL
1 TEASPOON OF CHOPPED GARLIC
OLIVE OIL SPRAY
1 C. WHITE WINE
1 C. LOW SODIUM CHICKN BROTH
2 TBLSPN CORN STARCH
* MIX BROCCOLI, BASIL, BLACK PEPPER, CHEESE AND OLIVE OIL IN BOWL * CUT POCKET IN CHICKEN BREAST * STUFF CHICKEN WITH MIXTURE * OLIVE OIL SPRAY BAKING DISH * SPRINKLE BREAD CRUMBS OVER CHICKEN * POUR WINE AND LEMON JUICE IN BAKING DISH * LIGHTLY SPRAY OLIVE OIL OVER CHICKEN * COOK @ 400’ FOR 25 MINUTES * MIX 2 TBLSPN CORN STARCH WITH HOT WATER * ADD 1 C. CHICKEN BROTH TO PAN * WHILE STIRRING ADD CORN STARCH/WATER MIXTURE TO BROTH (GRAVY CONSISTENCY) * POUR SAUCE OVER CHICKEN * SPRINKLE WITH FRESH BASIL
SERVE WITH WHOLE WHEAT PASTA AND FRESH STEAMED ASPARAGUS WITH RED PEPPER.
*Cherries with Ricotta & Toasted Almonds*
Warm cherries topped with luscious ricotta cheese and toasted almonds makes for a rich-tasting—yet calorie-conscious—treat.
* 3/4 cup frozen pitted cherries
* 2 tablespoons part-skim ricotta
* 1 tablespoon toasted slivered almonds
* 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar
1. Heat cherries on medium heat until warm. Top the ricotta with the cherries, almonds and brown sugar.
Per serving : 150 Calories; 6 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 10 mg Cholesterol; 20 g Carbohydrates; 6 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 39 mg Sodium; 329 mg Potassium 1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat
Tips & Notes * Healthy Heart Variation: To reduce saturated fat even further, use nonfat ricotta in place of the reduced-fat ricotta.
* 133 calories, 0 g saturated fat.
Keep WCCA on the air with your donation or underwriting specific programming through our "Circle of Friends." We're a registered 501(c)3 non-profit, so all donations are tax deductible.